[mythtvnz] 18.04 and mythtv

Mark Kendall markk at kc.net.nz
Sun May 6 23:09:14 BST 2018

After not having a TV aerial or working MythTV for over a year I recently got it going again.  I haven't upgraded my server/front ent combo yet but it is running MythTV 0.29.

On a ZOTAC ION front end I decided to do a fresh install from DVD the day after 18.04 was realeased and used a new hard drive just in case I wanted to swap back.  The new install was a failure, initially due to timezone issues, after much googling and finding something similar I discovered that by unplugging the network cable it got past the timezone issue but failed later on for some other reason.  USB install also didn't work (didn't even boot properly).  I gave up on the fresh install, put the old disk back in and upgraded from 17.04->17.10->18.04 with little problem, think I had to install newer libcec library and then setup some key bindings for HDMI remote to work (via pulse eight adapter which was previously probably using lirc and cec-utils)

A problem I had with MythTV 0.29:  Apart from some recent recordings last month all the other recordings  (which were over a year old) were marked with DELETEPENDING=1 in the database.  Because of this they appeared on the webserver but not in the MythTV client nor in the newer web interface.  Initially I thought I had stuffed something up as I had SQL deleted huge numbers of failed recordings.

A newly setup Android KODI client also connected to my MythTV 0.29 server via the PVR plugin but unfortunately has since been problematic.  Previously the other two KODI clients (Windows and Linux) I tried locked up while trying to retrieve recordings.  Does anyone know if KODI has trouble with lots of recording files (I've trimmed the number of recordings held by MythTV down to a little over 800)

Cheers

Mark