[mythtvnz] Lirc is a disaster in 18.04 - do not upgrade yet

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Aug 29 10:50:23 BST 2018

I have now finished my script to properly install the lirc package on
Ubuntu 18.04 so that the Python 3 programs it installs (such as
lirc-setup) actually work.  It is available from my web server:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/lirc-ubuntu-18.04-install.sh

I have tested it on a clean 18.04.1 install on a virtual machine and
on my laptop (18.04.1 upgraded from 16.04).  But it needs testing -
consider it to be beta software.  If you try it, please let me know if
it works properly, or if you had any problems.

To use it, download it, do a "chmod a+x" on it, and then run it as
root.  It has to download the source code for the lirc package,
compile it and then use the source code directories as the source of
missing headers and libraries so that a pip3 install of part of the
package will work.  To do all that, it may have to install several
packages other than the lirc package, if they are not already
installed, including a lot of other packages that are required for
those packages.  It cleans up after itself, but will leave behind some
newly installed packages.

I have not yet actually used lirc-setup to get a working lirc config
on my laptop - I will be getting to that over the next few days as I
have time.

WARNING: If you upgrade a working lirc setup from 16.04 or before,
where you have customised config files referenced in
/etc/lirc/hardware.conf and stored under /usr/share/lirc, make sure
you take copies of the customised files and put them somewhere safe
before doing the upgrade to 18.04.  Somewhere under /root or
/home/<username> is safe.  The 18.04 upgrade will delete all files
under /usr/share/lirc!!!