[mythtvnz] HDHomeRun discover not working

Mark Kendall markk at kc.net.nz
Wed Apr 11 06:05:16 BST 2018

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 15:41:28 +1200, you wrote:

<snipped>

>>> Those rules based on MAC address have been working for several
>>> versions of Ubuntu now.
>>We have no power at home at the moment (and may not for sometime,
>>hopefully not days!) so I can't check things.  From memory, for the
>>internal and USB ethernet adapters the UDEV rules are pretty similar to
>>mine and I don't believe were the problem.  The USB adapter recognises as
>>eth1 fine.  When plugging network cable into it and switch/router it
>> comes
>>up with IP address fine (viewable and changeable in GUI and via
>> ifconfig),
>>plugging network cable into it and hdhomerun it doesn't work (I think
>>IFCONFIG showed UP on eth1 status but no IP address details and it isn't
>>changeable/settable in the gui)
>
> A Network Manager problem then.  It is still flaky after years of
> being around.  The command line should be able to solve that problem
> though - put the settings for eth1 in /etc/network/interfaces.  These
> days, Network Manager does normally see that you are manually managing
> an interface and lets you do that.  But on my main MythTV box, which
> is a DNS server as well, I actually uninstalled Network Manager and do
> everything manually.  But I did that a long time ago when Network
> Manager was really terrible.  Now it is merely bad.
>
> If you do use eth1 again, you can then run dhcpd on the MythTV box and
> let it manage IP addresses on eth1 only.  But there is a fair learning
> curve to dhcpd.

It's always surprised me how bad Network Manager is for those with static
IP addresses, I tried to get rid of it a while back but unfortunately the
server is also my main workstation and I discovered Network Manager was
really tied into Gnome and several apps I used and they wouldn't work
without it :-(

It would be good to solve both sets of problems and get hdhomerun
working/connecting/fully visible when connected on either interface -
probably given the time I have available as soon as it's working well
enough on one that'll probably be it.

<snipped>

Cheers
Mark