[mythtvnz] HDHomeRun discover not working

Mark Kendall markk at kc.net.nz
Wed Apr 11 04:41:28 BST 2018

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 13:24:57 +1200, you wrote:
>
>>> So you had it on a dedicated local LAN segment that was isolated
>>> between
>>> the HDH and the Mythserver.
>>Yes, it was isolated so that only Mythserver & HDHomeRun was on it and
>> the
>>subnet was set so that hdhomerun auto set it's own IP address (169...
>>something range I think, whatever SiliconDust specified)
>
> Any idea why your udev rule is not still working?  On my test 17.10
> partition, my udev rules for multiple Ethernet cards are still working
> fine, but they are PCI cards.  This is what I use:
>
> root at lith:/etc/udev/rules.d# cat 20-network.rules
> # Asus P5K-E motherboard
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:1f:c6:24:64:ce",
> NAME="eth0"
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:07:e9:11:c5:95",
> NAME="eth1"
> SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", ATTR{address}=="00:1b:21:25:13:96",
> NAME="eth2"
>
> Those rules based on MAC address have been working for several
> versions of Ubuntu now.
We have no power at home at the moment (and may not for sometime,
hopefully not days!) so I can't check things.  From memory, for the
internal and USB ethernet adapters the UDEV rules are pretty similar to
mine and I don't believe were the problem.  The USB adapter recognises as
eth1 fine.  When plugging network cable into it and switch/router it comes
up with IP address fine (viewable and changeable in GUI and via ifconfig),
plugging network cable into it and hdhomerun it doesn't work (I think
IFCONFIG showed UP on eth1 status but no IP address details and it isn't
changeable/settable in the gui)

>>> Now you've put the HDH on the main LAN and accessing it directly from
>>> other clients, but Mythtv can't find it?
>>Yet, it's now on the same LAN as the MythTV clients.  A VM running on the
>>Myth server can auto discover it, haven't tried from any other client as
>>not much else up and running yet and the VM test showed that the unit was
>>working.
>>

>>> Sounds like you need to give the HDH a dedicated IP address, either on
>>> the
>>> device or by doign a DHCP reservation in your router.  Either is fine,
>>> as
>>> long as it means that your HDH is always at the same IP addresses.
>>>
>>Along with wiresharking that's what I was looking at doing next if I
>>couldn't get discovery to work but read that there is (or was at some
>>point) an issue if attempting to use multiple tuners
>
> If you are using multiple tuners of the same type, then it does not
> matter if they swap addresses at boot, as they will work equally well.
> But autodiscovery is always going to be a potential problem - better
> to assign fixed IP addresses in your router's DHCP setup.  I do that
> for all my devices anyway, as knowing which one is which really
> simplifies working out what is going on when using Wireshark.  I also
> have my own DNS server, which has all the fixed IP addresses listed
> for reverse DNS lookup, so I can get Wireshark to provide the correct
> names for each IP address.

Yes, will certainly fix the IP address via DHCP if it stays on the main
LAN regardless of whether or not I get auto discovery working or not (also
only the one hdhomerun at present so it's easy to know what's what).  The
issue with accessing via IP instead of device ID that I read about in
passing was something like a lock up or failure when accessing tuner via
IP and another tuner on the device was closed.  If others here have MythTV
backend setup configured with the hdhomerun's IP address and not device ID
it sounds like it's not going to be a problem.