[mythtvnz] Apple TV 4th Gen with mythtv server

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Sep 25 05:44:36 BST 2017

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 15:29:54 +1300, you wrote:

>Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> Actually, you can network the physical tuners using minisatip or
>> tvheadend and SAT>IP protocol.  MythTV does not yet support doing
>> tuning using the SAT>IP protocol, but that might be coming in v30. But
>> I have been able to network my DVB-S2 tuners using minisatip and some
>> Python software I wrote to create the channel and iptv_channel table
>> entries I needed.  When I have some spare time, I am working on
>> generalising the Python a bit so that it will be able to be used by
>> other people too.  But I am not there yet.  Using minisatip allows me
>> to use the same tuners anywhere on my network, and also it does the
>> Sky TV decryption.
>
>Nice - still requires a PC running somewhere though.  A networked receiver
>will play with VMs exactly the same, but will give HD and use less power.

Having just installed a TBS6209 8 tuner DVB-T2 card alongside my
TBS6909 8 tuner DVB-S2 card, I now also have DVB-T2 tuners via SAT>IP.
needed at least 4 DVB-T tuners since I started getting clashes when
Maori TV moved to a new mux, so I decided to have 5 so I could record
all muxes at once.  That would have involved problems with getting
enough signal from my aerial to 5 single tuners at once.  So getting
the TBS6209 which uses just one aerial input for all 8 tuners seemed
like a good idea.

Yes, it requires a PC, but then I need that anyway to get the
processor power to decode Sky (I can be recording up to 10 channels of
Sky at once during the pre- and post-roll overlap periods).