[mythtvnz] MythTV 0.29 and HDHomeRun

Mark van Dijk mark.van.dijk.74 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 22:15:31 GMT 2017

Hi all, I have an issue with a brand new MythTV installation that i wonder
if anybody has seen before.  I've been using MythTV for many years on an
ancient AMD AthlonXP with MythBuntu 14.04 that is slowly dying, so thought
I would splash out and update to a nice modern setup.

So we have:
  * new intel cpu, motherboard, ram
  * Ubuntu 17.10
  * MythTV 0.29
  * HDHomeRun Connect (NZ / AU dual tuner version)

Software cleanly installed.  Mythbackend setup seems to go well.  Added one
capture cards (tuners 0 on the HDHomeRun).  Added video source, connected
them up in the 'Input Connections', scanned for channels. All ok at this
point, so i start up MythFrontend and view LiveTV.  It works first time
(yay).

Now the issue.  I stopped the frontend, went into the backend setup and
added the second HDHomeRun tuner.  A quick reboot later for some updates,
and now Live TV no longer works.  I get the following error in the backend
log:

Nov  1 07:40:03 mythbox mythbackend: mythbackend[1050]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1738 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer: MainServer::ANN Playback
Nov  1 07:40:03 mythbox mythbackend: mythbackend[1050]: I ProcessRequest
mainserver.cpp:1743 (HandleAnnounce) MainServer: adding:
mythbox(55755a9a0fc0) as a client (events: 0)
Nov  1 07:40:03 mythbox mythbackend: mythbackend[1050]: I TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:1088 (HandleStateChange) TVRec[1]: Changing from None to
WatchingLiveTV
Nov  1 07:40:03 mythbox mythbackend: mythbackend[1050]: I TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:3704 (TuningFrequency) TVRec[1]: TuningFrequency
Nov  1 07:40:03 mythbox mythbackend: mythbackend[1050]: E TVRecEvent
dtvmultiplex.cpp:379 (ParseTuningParams) DTVMux: ParseTuningParams -- Unknown
tuner type = 0xffffffff80000000
Nov  1 07:40:03 mythbox mythbackend: mythbackend[1050]: E TVRecEvent
recorders/dtvchannel.cpp:300 (SetChannelByString) DTVChan[1](12332F08-0):
SetChannelByString(1): Failed to initialize multiplex options
Nov  1 07:40:03 mythbox mythbackend: mythbackend[1050]: E TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:3782 (TuningFrequency) TVRec[1]: Failed to set channel to 1.
Reverting to kState_None
Nov  1 07:40:03 mythbox mythbackend: mythbackend[1050]: I TVRecEvent
tv_rec.cpp:1088 (HandleStateChange) TVRec[1]: Changing from WatchingLiveTV
to None
Nov  1 07:40:03 mythbox mythbackend: mythbackend[1050]: I
MythSocketThread(51) mainserver.cpp:7643 (connectionClosed) Playback
sock(55755a9a0fc0) 'mythbox' disconnected

ok - so I've now gone into the backend MANY times and fiddled with the
capture settings.  Deleted and reinstalled the capture cards.  Delete and
reinstalled the video source, inputs, and channels.  updated software,
rebooted machine.  Nothing works.  I'm at a loss...   No matter what I do,
the error is always the same - *Unknown tuner type = 0xffffffff80000000*.
Database repair via MythWeb shows no issues.  Note that that I can
successfully SCAN for channels - this always works fine.  It is just live
TV.  I'm not trying to use multi-rec at the moment, so number of virtual
tuners is set to '1'.

I wondered if it was the HDHomeRun itself, so I tried adding the HDHomeRun
to that ancient Athlon mythbox I mentioned above.  But it works just fine -
no issues at all...  So its not the HDHomeRun.

I'm wondering if there is a regression in MythTV 0.29 that prevents it from
working with HDHomeRuns ?  Anyone seen something like this before?  Is
anyone successfully using HDHomeRun with MythTV 0.29?

Cheers
Mark