[mythtvnz] LIRC and mySKY / Pace TDS850NNZ

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Fri Oct 13 08:17:31 BST 2017

> On 29/09/2017, at 00:13, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> Sounds good.  And the TBS6909 only needs a single aerial feed for all
> 8 tuners, so it should be getting even better signal than the old
> SkyStar2 cards, which presumably needed a splitter.
>
>> Thanks for pointers and kick in the ass to get this moving.  8)
>
> Let me know if you need any help with setup.

Right, quick update.

Card arrived today.  Just wasted the afternoon to try and get it going.  In the process I lost access to most of my existing inputs (SkyStar 2, HD PVR).  Card physically installed fine, installed the TBS software following instructions from https://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=9960 (Open Source, git and make, and install firmware) and could see the card with lspci -vvv  but it didn’t appear in dmesg.  Same applied to the SkyStar 2 (x2), plus there were no entries for /dev/dvb/* or /dev/video0.  After much gnashing of teeth, reboots and googling to many dead ends, I ended up trying modprobe to load the SkyStar cards.  That was failing with messages like:

# sudo modprobe b2c2_flexcop_pci
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'b2c2_flexcop_pci': Required key not available

which eventually lead me to info about disabling Secure Boot in BIOS/EFI settings (never heard of it til now).  This is a fairly recent Asus Z170 motherboard so the setting was Boot > Secure Boot > OS Type and set it to Other OS.  Now dmesg is showing entries for TurboSight TBS 6909 DVB-S/S2 & Sky2PC/SkyStar 2 DVB-S, and there are adaptors listed in /dev/dvb/.  8)

To test the card was working, I added a single new card input to MythTV Setup using the same settings as the other DVB cards (and left the others as they were).  Watch Live TV starts with one of the SkyStar cards fine (showing signal strength info when first starting) but when I try to access the new card via  Menu > Source > Switch Input it just freezes for a bit and dumps me out to the menu.  Switching to any of the other inputs works as expected.  I’ve tried switching the aerial input to each of the 4 input connectors on the card, and also tried using the cable connected to the SkyStar card (just to eliminate bad cable or wrong port).

Myth is currently back online and can record from the SkyStars, and HDPVR so I’ve deleted this new card input, and will look at it again tomorrow.

 - Wade