[mythtvnz] EPG stops on Friday

Curtis Walker sultanoswing at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 06:36:03 GMT 2017

On 3 Nov 2017 7:31 pm, "Robert Fisher" <robert at fisher.net.nz> wrote:

These are the notes that I used when I first setup my system:-1)
Download tv_grab_nz-py from http://nice.net.nz/tv_grab_nz-py/

2) Copy tv_grab_nz-py to /usr/local/bin.  Make sure that it is executable.
(sudo chmod +x tv_grab_nz-py)

3) Configure it. Note that the configuration file name must match that
name of the video source configured in mythtv-setup for the
mythbackend/mythfilldatabase to use this grabber.
tv_grab_nz-py --configure --config-file ~/.mythtv/<video sources
name>.xmltv
Step 3 had some problems for me but it was overcome by copying and editing
another <video sources name>.xmltv

You also need to symlink otherwise mythfilldatabase will not work
automatically (it uses the user mythtv)
sudo ln -s */home/yourusername/*.mythtv/Freeview.xmltv */home/mythtv/*.
mythtv/Freeview.xmltv

4) To see if the xmltv side of things works run
tv_find_grabbers

This should return a list of all the installed grabbers, which should
include tv_grab_nz-py.

5) To see if the myth side of things works run
mythfilldatabase
Pay close attention to the output of this. If it looks like it worked,
the MythWeb status page should also show a successful run.

6) On the master backend run mythsetup and
a) In Video Sources set "New Zealand (py)" as the grabber for your
Video Source.
b) In General, on the Mythfilldatabase page (its the last page) enable
"Automatically run mythfilldatabase". Configure time, frequency, etc
to suite. Now Myth should use tv_grab_nz-py to update EPG
periodically. The MythWeb status page shows when it was last run and
what the results were.

Robert Fisher

On 1/11/2017 11:54 AM, "me" <08004us at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Could someone contact me off-list wrt activating the EPG grabber py.
>
> I'm Linux literate, and have re-vamped most of the menus for our own
> needs, but...
>
> I need a shove in the right direction to implement the automated script to
> harvest the fruits of the EPG fairy!
>
> After many years of MythTV being in our home, we're getting a bit over
> missing programs because they are "all new" etc.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Noel.

Great guide, thanks Robert.

Quick question (since I can't remember from when I did use this grabber and
source), does this pull in EPG data for Al Jazeera? For some reason that's
the only channel that isn't getting over the air EIT for me, and I may use
tv_grab_nz-py for this channel alone.