[mythtvnz] Long delay when starting playback - possible fix - update

Austin Green austin.green at orcon.net.nz
Thu Nov 2 22:47:22 GMT 2017

A few months ago, I reported a problem where starting to play a recording
would result in a long pause, around 30 seconds, with the screen completely
frozen, before the playback would start.  I found a work-round:

Every night a script is run, which essentially does this:
	mysqlcheck -c mythconverg -u root
If I run the script manually, just before starting the frontend,
then I don't get the delay on starting to watch a recording.

I wondered whether it was a database corruption problem, although it never
reported finding any errors, just prints an 'OK' for each table checked.
Then, watching it run one day, I noticed that it flashed through most of
the tables, but took a long time on one of them:
	mythconverg.recordedseek
I set up a cron job to check just that table, at a time just before we
start watching TV, and it makes the problem go away.

My guess is that the table contains data needed for seeking back and forth
in each of the recordings files, and is therefore very long.  The checking
process perhaps leaves the table records in the recently-accessed cache,
so that the (backend, I guess) doesn't have to wait for the table to be loaded.
Does that seem reasonable?  I take it nobody else has this problem.
Is it maybe a DBMS configuration issue?