[mythtvnz] MythTV 0.29 and HDHomeRun

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Nov 2 02:35:44 GMT 2017

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 15:15:25 +1300, you wrote:

>Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> Systemd is excellent for getting very short boot times with your fast
>> SSD boot disk.  It has a number of problems, but quite a few
>> advantages also.
>
>Getting off topic here, but systemd is not mandatory, not compulsory, and
>should be taken with a pinch of salt.
>
>I'm actively avoiding systemd because I'd rather use the system than
>fiddle with systemd to make stuff work.   A computer is not an end-goal in
>itself, its a tool.

So you also are avoiding some of the real advantages of systemd.  I
agree with you that systemd being an all-in-one take-it-or-leave-it
thing is probably wrong.  But the huge advantage of systemd is that it
is now easy to write a simple systemd unit to makes a daemon work, and
work well.  There is no need for a daemon to have special daemonising
code inside it, and there is no need for a complex /etc/init.d script
to get it to work properly.  All the tools for normal daemons are
built into systemd.  No more of the dreadful need to fork on startup,
with all its attendant complications.  So you may find that in future,
people writing daemons will not bother with all the old code and you
will be forced to use systemd to use their software.  Like anything
new, systemd has a learning curve to get over.  In the case of
systemd, it is a pretty steep learning curve.  But in regards to
starting programs, it is well worth learning as it is better than what
has come before it.  I am less convinced about systemd taking over the
logging functions and a number of other things, but I am still
learning and willing to give it some leeway while I get used to how it
does things.