[mythtvnz] TiVo replacement

Criggie criggie at criggie.org.nz
Mon Mar 6 02:33:12 GMT 2017

Peter Charlesworth wrote:
> Regarding the hardware, we have an old but effective "home
> theatre" set-up, currently running through the TiVo for TV
> input.  The TV has HDMI, the system has access to our fibre
> broadband, and the aerial is UHF.  The PC side is where I
> will probably have to build from scratch, and although we
> have a couple of defunct desktop towers, I doubt that any of
> the contents will make the grade.  Perhaps I can use an old
> box and restock it.  The home theatre trappings are currently
> in a large space under the stairs behind the TV, so that
> would seem an ideal place for a "back end"?

Yep - thats a great start.  If you can find and post the specs of the
computers?

I'd be looking for a core2duo with at least 1GB ram, and 400 GB of HDD
minimum.  Ideally a couple of TB of disk for storing older recordings.

You'll also want a HDMI-capable video card  (check if you have this)
and somethign to record programs from - the HD Homerun is considered
pretty good.

Finally you need a bunch of cables, some way to have a keyboard work in
your seating area, and a plan for if the understairs area starts getting
hot.

A wireless beyboard like this works superlatively, and is relatively
drop-resistant while being not-expensive.
http://www.dx.com/p/genuine-rii-mini-i8-wireless-92-key-qwerty-keyboard-mouse-touchpad-with-usb-receiver-black-134317#.WLzKKTuGMuU

> Do there happen to be any members in the Epsom area in Auckland whom I
> might contact for a meeting and advice?

Not me sorry.

--
Criggie