[mythtvnz] TV3 => Three

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Mon Mar 6 02:22:14 GMT 2017

On 06/03/17 15:01, Robert Fisher wrote:
> I have been promoting MythTV as an alternative to TiVo on
> Geekzone.co.nz <http://Geekzone.co.nz>.
>
> Unfortunately much of what I have said has been rebuffed. They seem to
> want an off the shelf replacement which seems to me a bit weird on
> Geekzone.
>
> This morning when someone said ".lack of a full 7 day EPG via standard
> EIT data is what's limiting the alternatives."
> I replied - "My MythTV setup is still receiving up to 8 days of EIT data."
> to which he replied - "Depends on where you are getting it from.  I
> can guarantee it's not from the terrestrial EIT service."
>
> I give up.

Last time I checked (a few years back using dvbsnoop) the NZ EIT (Event
Information Table) was only one or two days. It is encoded differently
to the MHEG (Multimedia and Hypermedia Experts Group) EPG and carried in
a different part of the broadcast data stream. I believe your TV pulls
info from the EIT when you press the info button on your remote but it
pulls the 7 day EPG from the MHEG EPG data if you press guide. Makes
sense when you notice that info is instant but guide sometimes takes a
while to show because it's more data to download to the telly.

So I suspect the confusion is about EIT vs MHEG EPG which are different
beasts.

Can't check (broken system) if the EIT has been improved to cover 7
days. Anyone else up for some dvbsnooping? I think it's relatively easy
to find the PID which carries the EIT. I think it's standardized from
memory.