[mythtvnz] New member

Rory Grant rorzer at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 18:14:00 GMT 2017

I'd certainly be interested in that script etc. I'm currently reliant on
epg.org.nz and it would be nice to have a backup source.

Rory

On 2017-03-02 17:00, David Moore wrote:

> On 02/03/17 16:13, Criggie wrote:
>
>> Cool - welcome
>>
>> What hardware do you have available for this project?
>>
>> You'll want a minimum of
>> * A TV with HDMI input (vga works in a pinch but is not as pretty)
>> * A quietish PC with HDMI output that you can leave running 24/7
>> * Somewhere to leave it running out of the way, that won't get hot or
>> bumped.  Behind the TV is ideal.
>> * A broadband internet connection
>> * Some kind of receiver and aerial.....:
>>
>> My understanding is a HD Homerun receiver and a UHF aerial are great if
>> you're in urban area with good signal (ie, dvb-t or terrestrial coverage)
>>
>> Otherwise you need a satellite dish and a couple of dvb-s tuner cards.
>>
>> And whatever cabling is needed to tie it all together.
>>

>> Peter Charlesworth wrote:
>>
>>> I've joined the mailing list today, mainly as a response to the news that
>>> TiVo will be defunct in NZ after October 2017.  I'm devastated about
>>> this,
>>> since we have three TiVo units, and can't speak highly enough of how good
>>> they have been in practical functionality, as well as an alternative to
>>> the offerings of Sky TV, to which I have a philosophical aversion.
>>>
>>> I'm a technically capable person and I understand electrons, but I have
>>> minimal practical experience at "circuit-board level", so the initial
>>> onslaught of unfamiliar terms and concepts I have encountered in reading
>>> the
>>> MythTV pages today have been somewhat mind boggling.  However, I'm hoping
>>> that with the guidance of New Zealand experts in the MythTV field, and
>>> the
>>> general information in the extensive resources of the main website, I may
>>> in time be able to learn enough to assemble a good MythTV set-up of my
>>> own.
>>> It certainly seems to be the best prospect that I can find to replace the
>>> features of TiVo, and probably exceed them.
>>>

>>> I look forward to hearing from you all,
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

> One thing you may have to get used to is the EPG pulled from the
> freeview web site sometimes has problems. Rare but they do occur.
> Personally I didn't want to live with an internet EPG so I developed
> mhegepgsnoop to pull the EPG directly from the DVB-T (terrestrial)
> broadcast data. Unfortunately this won't work for satellite (DVB-S)
> broadcast nor will it work with an HDHomeRun.
>
> Getting the right hardware is the hard part. Lots of info at places
> like linuxtv.org to help with this. And of course asking questions on
> this and the main MythTV list. Actually installing MythTV is a breeze
> if you stick with the defaults.
>
> BTW I didn't run my system (currently broken - HDD failure) 24/7. It
> is quite simple to set up MythTV so that it shuts down overnight but
> wakes up the PC when it needs to record.
>
> Cheers
> David

> [...]
an HDHomeRun.

I have a bash script that uses hdhomerun_config to capture the stream to a
file and then feeds it to mhegepgsnoop using the dvbsnoop option.

A few minor fixes are needed to mhegepgsnoop in order to parse the dvbsnoop
output correctly.

I have been using this reliably for a while now on my live system with no
problems.

Happy to provide the script and updated mhegepgsnoop if anyone wants it.