[mythtvnz] New member

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Thu Mar 2 04:00:06 GMT 2017

On 02/03/17 16:13, Criggie wrote:
> Cool - welcome
>
> What hardware do you have available for this project?
>
> You'll want a minimum of
> * A TV with HDMI input (vga works in a pinch but is not as pretty)
> * A quietish PC with HDMI output that you can leave running 24/7
> * Somewhere to leave it running out of the way, that won't get hot or
> bumped.  Behind the TV is ideal.
> * A broadband internet connection
> * Some kind of receiver and aerial.....:
>
> My understanding is a HD Homerun receiver and a UHF aerial are great if
> you're in urban area with good signal (ie, dvb-t or terrestrial coverage)
>
> Otherwise you need a satellite dish and a couple of dvb-s tuner cards.
>
> And whatever cabling is needed to tie it all together.
>

> Peter Charlesworth wrote:
>> I've joined the mailing list today, mainly as a response to the news that
>> TiVo will be defunct in NZ after October 2017.  I'm devastated about this,
>> since we have three TiVo units, and can't speak highly enough of how good
>> they have been in practical functionality, as well as an alternative to
>> the offerings of Sky TV, to which I have a philosophical aversion.
>>
>> I'm a technically capable person and I understand electrons, but I have
>> minimal practical experience at "circuit-board level", so the initial
>> onslaught of unfamiliar terms and concepts I have encountered in reading
>> the
>> MythTV pages today have been somewhat mind boggling.  However, I'm hoping
>> that with the guidance of New Zealand experts in the MythTV field, and the
>> general information in the extensive resources of the main website, I may
>> in time be able to learn enough to assemble a good MythTV set-up of my
>> own.
>> It certainly seems to be the best prospect that I can find to replace the
>> features of TiVo, and probably exceed them.
>>

>> I look forward to hearing from you all,
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peter

One thing you may have to get used to is the EPG pulled from the
freeview web site sometimes has problems. Rare but they do occur.
Personally I didn't want to live with an internet EPG so I developed
mhegepgsnoop to pull the EPG directly from the DVB-T (terrestrial)
broadcast data. Unfortunately this won't work for satellite (DVB-S)
broadcast nor will it work with an HDHomeRun.

Getting the right hardware is the hard part. Lots of info at places like
linuxtv.org to help with this. And of course asking questions on this
and the main MythTV list. Actually installing MythTV is a breeze if you
stick with the defaults.

BTW I didn't run my system (currently broken - HDD failure) 24/7. It is
quite simple to set up MythTV so that it shuts down overnight but wakes
up the PC when it needs to record.

Cheers
David