[mythtvnz] Updates for Dummies

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Wed Sep 14 10:52:46 BST 2016

Hi Robert,

If a new version of a package you have installed has an additional
dependency, then an `apt-get upgrade` won't pull that in. However, a
`apt-get dist-upgrade` turns off some of the guards that prevent new
packages being installed.

As for safety, it's always a good idea to check what apt-get will do
before you hit "y". There is a chance that a new version of a package
might conflict with something you really care about and that conflict
might cause the other package(s) to be removed. A normal upgrade would
refuse to install the newer version, but a dist-upgrade would happily
install the new version and remove the other packages.

Good luck!

On Wed, 2016-09-14 at 21:42 +1200, Robert Fisher wrote:
> Safe?
> Robert Fisher
>
> On 14 Sep 2016 8:25 p.m., "Stephen Worthington" <stephen_agent at jsw.ge
> n.nz> wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 17:41:11 +1200, you wrote:
> >
> > >I just ran........
> > >
> > >sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
> > >
> > >As well as the updates I get a message.....
> > >
> > >The following packages have been kept back:
> > >
> > >mysql-server-5.7 mysql-server-core-5.7
> > >
> > >What should I do, if anything?
> >
> > apt-get dist-upgrade

Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew at etc.gen.nz             | linux.conf.au 2017, Hobart, AU
  New Zealand's only Cloud:   |   The Future of Open Source
https://catalyst.net.nz/cloud |     http://linux.conf.au