[mythtvnz] Almost out of ideas - occasional pixelation only on MythTV

Curtis Walker sultanoswing at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 19:21:47 BST 2016

On 17 Oct 2016 01:11, "Stephen Worthington" <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Oct 2016 21:55:55 +1300, you wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >

> >We are in Ranui Auckland and I am having lots of problems with
intermittent
> >pixelation.
> >

> >It started a few months back and since then we have had the aerial guy
in at
> >least 3 times. First time he tweaked the position which was a bit off,
next
> >he added a masthead amp and lastly he added a filter and replaced the
> >balun/element.
> >

> >It was a bit confusing because we also had really bad problems with the
TV
> >even though the signal was good. Turned out the TV problem was
Chromecast -
> >when it was plugged in terrestrial picture was terrible.
> >

> >I am running, an admittedly old 0.25 Myth server with 2 x HDHomeRun -
only
> >using one at a time currently. The original HDHR I got from Hadley in
2013
> >the second I got a few months ago from TradeMe for $50. Both are similar
> >serial numbers and same model.
> >

> >Far as I can tell now there isn't any pixelation with the TV, but to be
fair
> >we don't use it much. But with Myth it can get quite bad but most of the
> >time it is ok, so maybe every 10 minutes it plays up - all depends. Given
> >what we have done aerial wise I tried everything I could with Myth,
changed
> >the storage from local to NAS, restarted everything and the network is
> >gigabit with no issues - all wired not wifi. Both HDHRs exhibit the same
> >problem. The HDHRs are reporting 100% for signal strength, signal quality
> >and  symbol quality.
> >

> >I spoke to the guys at Alkris Signal Solutions, who are close and they
are
> >suggesting a PA2 and I am also thinking of replacing the coax so it's
100%
> >clean.
> >

> >Before I go out and spend even more money, given I have spent over $300
on
> >aerial stuff so far, I just thought I would ask if a PA2 sounded like a
good
> >idea. Alkris know the area and thought that should work a treat.
> >

> >Cheers
>
> If you watch TV directly from the HDHRs (on a tablet, for example), do
> you see the same problems?  Trying that should tell you whether the
> problem is in MythTV or the PC hardware, or somewhere else.

I had *very* similar symptoms a few years ago. After doing a lot of what
you've tried, it turned out to be missing firmware in the OS.

I appreciate it's the same hardware on the same OS, but there can be subtle
hardware changes which mean the firmware isn't loading on boot. Check your
logs.