[mythtvnz] Almost out of ideas - occasional pixelation only on MythTV

ajp at cantabrian.co.nz ajp at cantabrian.co.nz
Sun Oct 16 09:55:55 BST 2016

Hi,

We are in Ranui Auckland and I am having lots of problems with intermittent
pixelation.

It started a few months back and since then we have had the aerial guy in at
least 3 times. First time he tweaked the position which was a bit off, next
he added a masthead amp and lastly he added a filter and replaced the
balun/element.

It was a bit confusing because we also had really bad problems with the TV
even though the signal was good. Turned out the TV problem was Chromecast -
when it was plugged in terrestrial picture was terrible.

I am running, an admittedly old 0.25 Myth server with 2 x HDHomeRun - only
using one at a time currently. The original HDHR I got from Hadley in 2013
the second I got a few months ago from TradeMe for $50. Both are similar
serial numbers and same model.

Far as I can tell now there isn't any pixelation with the TV, but to be fair
we don't use it much. But with Myth it can get quite bad but most of the
time it is ok, so maybe every 10 minutes it plays up - all depends. Given
what we have done aerial wise I tried everything I could with Myth, changed
the storage from local to NAS, restarted everything and the network is
gigabit with no issues - all wired not wifi. Both HDHRs exhibit the same
problem. The HDHRs are reporting 100% for signal strength, signal quality
and  symbol quality.

I spoke to the guys at Alkris Signal Solutions, who are close and they are
suggesting a PA2 and I am also thinking of replacing the coax so it's 100%
clean.

Before I go out and spend even more money, given I have spent over $300 on
aerial stuff so far, I just thought I would ask if a PA2 sounded like a good
idea. Alkris know the area and thought that should work a treat.

Cheers