[mythtvnz] Recommendations for a new DVB-T tuner? (Not HDHR)

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Mon May 30 05:53:04 BST 2016

On 30/05/16 15:49, Robert Fisher wrote:
> I am interested to know why you do not want HDHR units.
> I recently installed one and it was so simple.
Main reason is price. I can get the Elgato dual tuner for $130. I'm not
worried about install issues. I was happy to patch the firmware for my
HVR2200 to enable analogue to MPEG conversion so I don't fear a bit of
driver or firmware hacking if necessary (which it shouldn't be with the
Elgato unit).

Also not keen on losing support for mhegepgsnoop (which I wrote). This
needs a device to talk to which isn't there with an HDHR. There is
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/dvbhdhomerun/?source=directory) a
sourceforge project to make the HDHR look like a device but I'm not sure
it works with current HDHR hardware/firmware. I know there are other
options to get a 7 day EPG but mhegepgsnoop just works for me and I
don't need any of the extra features with the other options.

Don't get me wrong. The HDHR is a very nice unit but it just doesn't
suit me at the moment.