[mythtvnz] Recommendations for a new DVB-T tuner? (Not HDHR)

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun May 29 17:42:16 BST 2016

On Sun, 29 May 2016 16:14:41 +1200, you wrote:

>On 29/05/16 16:05, David Moore wrote:
>> My HVR2200 (which I really liked) died and now it looks like my backup
>> USB tuner is dying. So I'm looking for recommendations for a new DVB-T
>> tuner. I know TBS has good Linux support. Anybody used the TBS7220?
>> I'm thinking of two of these with a 3-way splitter (one feed to the
>> TV). Strangely though the pic on buydvb.net shows what looks like a
>> PCI connector but it says "PCIe".
>>
>> Any ideas where to buy a 3 way splitter?
>Sorry. Please ignore comments/questions about the TBS7220. I believe it
>has a PCIe x4 connector. I only have PCIe x1 slots so no it's go. Still
>interested in recommendations for other tuners though.

You picked the wrong card.  The TBS7220 uses a mini-PCIe connector,
for small form factor PCs.  You probably are wanting a normal PCIe bus
connector, such as a TBS6221 (single DVB-T2/T/C), TBS6281SE (dual
DVB-T2/T/C) or TBS6205 (quad DVB-T2/T/C).  All of those cards are
standard PCIe x1 cards.

Be aware that for a lot of TBS cards, you have to compile the TBS
drivers every time the kernel is updated.  That process installs a
full set of V4L drivers, overwriting the standard kernel ones, so if
you have other V4L devices, it is possible the TBS versions of the
drivers for them will be different (usually a bit out of date).  It is
not difficult to do, but has nuisance value (an extra reboot is
required).  The Linux support by TBS does seem to be pretty good
though.