[mythtvnz] MythTV problems after moving house & installing new Frontend/Backend server

Chris Macneill cmacneill at zelan.co.nz
Tue Jul 19 22:27:10 BST 2016

Hi,

I'm having a few problems with a new Frontend/Backend server I
implemented after moving house. The old location had Terrestrial
Freeview, but the new location is Satellite Freeview only. I was having
some niggling problems with the old server, after a reboot Frontend
would take 20 to 30 minutes to appear after X started and it was running
low on hard disc space, so decided to implement a new server.
The new server worked fine at the old house as a standalone, but now I
try to use at new location and integrate into my Home Theatre setup I
get two problems:-

1. I get no reception on the TBS 6805 tuner card despite the MythTV
Channel Setup saying at least as good signal strength as at the old
house and was working fine at old house. When I insert my Satellite
Signal Meter (cheap $25 moving coil meter type) into the feeder, I get
good signal strength AND suddenly the TBS card picks up channels ???!!!!
Is this some kind of impedance matching issue that the meter is solving?
I have a replacement LNB I could try, but as it's a rented house I don't
want to fiddle with the dish unless I have to.

2. When MythTV server is connected direct to TV, it works OK, but when I
connect my Home Theatre Amp in between, after turning off Amp at night,
when powering up Amp next day, I now get no picture or sound unless I
reboot MythTV server. All connections are HDMI. TV and Amp are same as
at old house, but obviously server has changed. It was initially using
the builtin graphics for the Motherboard, but have also tried a Nvidia
9200 with latest Nvidia drivers that has been known to work in the past.
My suspicions are X is turning off video output when Amp is turned off
and fails to turn back on when Amp is turned back on. When I reboot
MythTV server, Mythbuntu splash screen shows as it's shutting down, so
something is kicking graphics back into life. Maybe there's something in
the setup of the new MythTV server that I've done differently, but with
so many settings it's going to be tedious to do a side by side check.

Hardware is:-

TV: Panasonic Plasma
Amp: Denon
MythTV: 0.27, Ubuntu 14.04 (Mythbuntu distro)

Anyone with any pointers as to what to try to resolve these issues?

-- Regards Chris Macneill