[mythtvnz] Mythbuntu 16.04 user experiences

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Jul 19 19:02:49 BST 2016

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 05:48:23 +1200, you wrote:

>On 20/07/16 02:22, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 23:12:53 +1200, you wrote:
>>
>>> I successfully updated to 0.28 and thought while I was on a roll I would
>>> try updating to 16.04
>>> and now it wont even boot.
>>>
>>> I have not got a lot of recordings so I think I might try a new
>>> installation.
>>>
>>> I remembered following Mike Brady's guide at:-
>>>
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/501872?search_string=tv_grab_nz-py;#501872
>>>
>>> But I think I found previously one mistake.
>>>
>>> Can someone please check
>>>
>>> ) Copy*tv_grab_nz-py*to /usr/bin. Make sure that it is executable.
>>>
>>> I think that on Mythbuntu it has to be somewhere else?
>> You would normally put it in /usr/local/bin.  The /usr/bin directory
>> is normally for files installed from packages.  The /usr/local
>> directories are where you put your local customisations.  Putting it
>> in /usr/bin would work though.
>>

>Thanks, I think that I recall that the problem with putting it in
>/usr/bin was that it did not run automatically.

It does not run automatically unless you set that up.  Where you put
it will not affect that.

It does not matter where it is put as long as you either tell MythTV
the full pathname, or it is on the $PATH, which both /usr/bin and
/usr/local/bin are.  Putting it in /usr/local/bin is simply a
convention - you are not supposed to put custom things in /usr/bin,
that is where the packaging system puts things.