[mythtvnz] Starting from LIRC

criggie criggie at criggie.org.nz
Thu Jul 14 09:25:23 BST 2016

On 14/07/16 18:24, Austin Green wrote:
> Running an Ubuntu-derived OS on my server, where I run MythTV backend and frontend.  I have a script which starts up mythfrontend, and this is hooked up via lirc to a button on my remote.  It works fine as long as I have logged in at the server console (as myself, not as mythtv) through the normal GUI login screen; if there is nobody logged in that way, the script fails to launch mythfrontend, complaining about inability to open the X display.  AFAIK, X is started up even before anybody is logged in, but I may be assuming too much there.  Anyone else done this successfully?  Are there some tricks I should know about?  The script runs with my user id, not lirc or mythtv or root, in case that makes a difference.

Sounds to me like your button-press is like a hotkey on your keyboard
(remember media keys?  One button for web, one for email, one for ... etc)

So its like running the mythfrontend command in an xterm - you already
have an X session running on your monitor.

I've done this completely the other way around, but my frontend is a
dedicated frontend and only runs mythfrontend.  Do you want the full
dump on that, or do you use your combo myth box for other things, like
being a desktop?

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/