[mythtvnz] replacement remote control for MythTv

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 01:47:50 GMT 2016

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Rory Grant <rorzer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have now received my remotes and have them up and running.
>
> This is slightly off topic on this list, but I use Kodi as a frontend for
> MythTV on an Ubuntu system using systemd.  Below are some instructions for
> getting the most of this remote under my setup in the hopes that this is
> useful to myth users.
>

>    1. Download and install driver from http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/
>    2. Read instructions from http://kodi.wiki/view/Sapphire_Remote
>    3. Copy the attached keymap file to /etc/sapphire/keymap.kodi
>    4. Run "sudo /usr/local/bin/sapphire_keymap.sh
>    /etc/sapphire/keymap.kodi" to install new keymap to driver.  The remote
>    should now be working.
>    5. To get this keymap installed at boot, copy the attached
>    sapphire.service file to /etc/systemd/system/ and run the command
>    "sudo systemctl enable sapphire.service"
>
> A couple of notes:
>
>    - I have made some personal choices for the functions of the remote
>    buttons.  The default keyboard shortcuts for kodi are here:
>    http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls
>    - Some useful features (especially jumping directly to
>    Music/Video/LiveTV) are not included in the default keyboard controls.  I
>    installed the keymap editor addon to customise these.
>    http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor
>    - The custom commands are commented in my keymap.kodi file
>
> Hope this is useful to you

I used the sapphire drivers from rtr.ca when I had mythbuntu/xbmc combined
frontends. Useful as you can dynamically change the keymap, so my script to
load xbmc included the keymap switches. I documented it here
http://kodi.wiki/view/Sapphire_Remote, although that was a wee while back
in the sapphire development.

When I switched to openelec the remote just worked, although I tweaked a
couple of buttons to my liking using this very useful blog post.
http://nucblog.net/2014/01/mapping-the-buttons-on-the-remote-control/