[mythtvnz] New Sky decoders

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Feb 2 04:06:10 GMT 2016

Sky have just emailed me asking to arrange a time to change me over to
their new decoder.  So I was wondering if there is anyone out there
who already has one of these and can tell me more about it.  I
currently have an old Pace decoder, and it is connected via S-Video to
my TV and to my MythTV box's Hauppauge PVR-500 card.  I can record
from it that way using MythTV.

1) As far as I can tell from the information on Sky's site, the new
decoder does not have any S-Video output.  It seems to only have a
composite video one, as well as HDMI.  Is that correct, or is there
also a component video output option?

2) I presume that using the HDMI output to record from would not work,
as it will require HDCP - but I can not find anything to say that.
Does anyone know if it requires HDCP?  If so, I may not even be able
to use it with my TV, as my TV (Sony Bravia KDL-32V5500) does not say
anywhere that it does HDCP.

3) Do the new decoders still use Sky cards?  If so, are they the same
as the cards used by the old decoders (for example, did the installers
just take the card from your old decoder and put it in the new one)?