[mythtvnz] New install setup - recording problem

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 22:23:26 BST 2016

> The use of systemd in 16.04 is what makes the difference in booting.
> Systemd works completely differently from upstart, and allows things
> to start better in parallel, rather than having to wait and start in
> sequence.  But because of that, you can get race conditions if you do
> not set up the startup conditions properly.  The mythbackend startup
> conditions in the package as installed are only OK for systems that do
> not have external access to MythTV and which have very standard
> tuners.  Putting in the right conditions (which is where I hope we
> have arrived at now) should allow mythbackend to start at the right
> time.
>
> The reports about mythtv-setup taking ages to get to the new capture
> card page are likely what I saw when I first tried 0.28 on 16.04. That
> is a problem with the code supporting the new VBox network tuners,
> where the code involved takes a very long time to decide that there
> are no VBoxes on the network.  In my case, that happened because I had
> not set up my networking on my new test box at that point, so it was
> not working properly.  Once I sorted out my network setup, the long
> timeout waiting for VBox detection went away, although it still takes
> longer than it used to.  The reason for the problem was quite visible
> in the xterm window that pops up to run mythtv-setup.real - I could
> see the messages about VBoxes when I swapped to that window while I
> was waiting for mythtv-setup.real to open the new tuner page. VBox
> support is new in 0.28 and I think this problem is just a bug, but I
> have not checked to see if it has been reported yet.

In my case networking was the first thing I setup.I used remmina remote
desktop to work on the PVR,so it is the first task on a new install.Then I
tried HDHR configure GUI and that always worked so networking was
functional.So I'm skeptical whether this applies to my situation.

> I have not heard anything about 16.04 losing its capture card setup
> though.  That is pretty major and I would have expected to see reports
> about it on the mythtv-users mailing list by now, but there has been
> nothing.
>
> Using 14.04.05 and 0.28 should be fine for a while, if you want to do
> that, but the kernel will not be updated as I think the 14.04.5 kernel
> is the last one from 15.10, which is no longer supported.  The 14.04.0
> kernel (3.13.x) is still being updated and will be as long as 14.04 is
> being supported.  You would not be avoiding the VBox problem or the
> possible loss of capture card setup if you use 0.28 on 14.04.  And as
> you are using an SSD, 16.04 is recommended for better support for
> that.  SSDs do work in 14.04, but you do not get all the latest tweaks
> without a 4.x kernel.

> What sort of SSD do you have?  In 14.04, there are problems running
> the fstrim command or the fstab discard option (one or other of which
> is necessary for using an SSD).  Only a limited range of SSDs are
> supported, so you need to check if yours is supported.  This comment
> is present in the /etc/cron.weekly/fstrim file in 14.04 and is gone in
> 16.04:

> The SSD is an Adata SP600 64GB the same as I have had on my desktop PC
> for several years.Fstrim has not given any trouble on that.
This does not appear in the whitelist.When I run sudo fstrim -v / I get:

myth at myth:~$ sudo fstrim -v /
/: 53121429504 bytes were trimmed
myth at myth:~$ sudo fstrim -v /
/: 0 bytes were trimmed

This is the script I have in /cron.weekly :

#!/bin/sh
LOG=/var/log/trim.log
echo "*** $(date -R) ***" >> $LOG
fstrim -v / >> $LOG

> # This only runs on Intel and Samsung SSDs by default, as some SSDs
> with faulty
> # firmware may encounter data loss problems when running fstrim under
> high I/O
> # load (e. g.  https://launchpad.net/bugs/1259829). You can append the
> # --no-model-check option here to disable the vendor check and run
> fstrim on
> # all SSD drives.

I now have 14.04 set up completed, so I should be able to backup the
database and use that backup to set up 16.04 should I install it.
Would this be correct?
If this is the case I will have another go at 16.04