[mythtvnz] New install setup - recording problem

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Aug 16 09:23:03 BST 2016

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 10:32:48 +1200, you wrote:

>Here's a link to a text file with the log snippets you requested:
>https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5RRWPLTmilhLUFhLTFkN3dEeUU

I have finally had a free moment to start looking at the log files,
starting with the syslogs, and the thing that right away I can see as
a problem is that the hostname of the PC has changed from 12.04 (myth)
to 16.04 (mythpc).  That screws up the MythTV database quite badly, as
lots of settings are per hostname and many other tables have a
hostname field.  When changing the hostname of a PC, you have to
follow this procedure:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hostname_change#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend

and also see this:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration

I am not sure how well the hostname change options on
mythconverg_restore.pl work - I have never used them.  If they change
all the hostnames in all the tables, everything should work a lot
better than before.  I believe the right sequence would be to do a new
restore of the 12.04 database to the 16.04 setup, then run the
hostname change command, then run mythtv-setup to upgrade the database
schema, then start mythbackend and run mythfrontend to upgrade any
other plugin database that needed it.

I think you said you are just installing 16.04 on a new SSD in the
same PC.  If so, then it might be easier to just do a reinstall of
16.04 keeping the old hostname, and then do an ordinary restore of the
database.  Once things are all working again, you could then look at
changing the hostname.

However, that problem would not affect you if you were just running a
new database on 16.04, and I have not checked all the emails to see if
the latest tests (for the log files) were done with a clean database,
or using a restored one.  I may be able to work it out from the logs,
but please let me know if you can remember.  If the tests were done
with a database with wrong hostnames, there is not much point in
looking at the mythbackend logs until that problem is fixed.

One other minor thing I can see is that the language locale seems to
be en_gb on the 12.04 setup, but en_us on the 16.04 one.  Since en_NZ
is a variant of en_gb, lots of things show en_gb when the locale is
set to en_NZ, so check the output of the "locale" command on 12.04 to
see if it is really set to en_NZ.  If so, 16.04 should be set up the
same way.  There can be problems with MythTV themes and other subtle
things if the locales do not match between the operating system and
the MythTV database.

When I have some more time I will look further at the logs.

BTW My test PC is down for a few days - my mother's MythTV box power
supply fan suddenly became very noisy, so I had to use my spare power
supply from the test PC to keep her MythTV going until we can get a
new power supply for it.  So I am unable to do any testing with 16.04
at the moment.