[mythtvnz] New install setup - recording problem

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Aug 13 04:47:52 BST 2016

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 14:42:24 +1200, you wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 14:33:22 +1200, Stephen Worthington
><stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 09:51:21 +1200, you wrote:

>>> Ok, that seems to work well.I have rebooted a few times and can tune
>>> live
>>> tv now.
>>> Thanks for doing the tests on those mods.I had to call the file in
>>> mythtv-backend.service.d mythtv_backend_override.conf as I could not
>>> save
>>> the file with dashes in the file name.
>>
>> That will just be a limitation of the program you used to edit the
>> file - dashes are valid in Linux file names, but not all software
>
>I tried gedit and nano both objected.Not to worry ,it's ok as is.
>
>> understands that.
>>
>>> I will add the HDHR tuners now and see if they still have problems.
>>> Then look to see why my xmltv script isn't populating the guide.I am
>>> getting
>>> "Unknown xmltv channel identifier: tv2-plus1.freeviewnz.tv - Skipping
>>> channel." for all channels but it was working before.
>>
>> Do you have the <source name>.xmltv file in /home/<mythtv
>> user>/.mythtv?  If you do not have a "channel" line in the .xmltv file
>> for a channel, that is the error message you get.  This is what I have
>> in my /home/stephen/.mythtv/FreeviewHD.xmltv file:
>>
>> channel=tv1.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=tv2.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=tv3.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=bravo.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=maori-tv.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=tv1-plus1.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=tv2-plus1.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=tv3-plus1.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=bravo-plus1.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=duke.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=edge-tv.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=prime.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=choice.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=hgtv.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=shopping-channel.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=parliament.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=hope-channel.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=fashiontv.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=aljazeera.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=te-reo.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel!shine.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=firstlight.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=sommet-sports.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=tvsn-shopping-channel.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=chinese-tv8.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=tv33.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=yes-shop.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=apna.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=rnz-national.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=rnz-concert.freeviewnz.tv
>> channel=basefm.freeviewnz.tv
>>
>>> Cheers
>
>I don't appear to have freeview.xmltv in /home/<mythtv> user>/.mythtv in
>either 12.04 or 16.04 so I don't know why 12.04 works.
>I'll create the file.

The <mythtv user> bit in the file path is a placeholder for whatever
user name you use that runs mythfrontend.  Mythfilldatabase, in my
system, is run by that user.  I do not use the standard system for
running mythfilldatabase though, so I am not entirely sure if the
.xmltv file needs to be in /home/mythtv/.mythtv (if mythfilldatabase
is run by user mythtv) or in /home/<mythtv user>/.mythtv (if it is run
by the user that runs mythfrontend).  To be safe, I think it should
probably be put in /home/mythtv/.mythtv, and then these commands used
to put a link to it under the mythfrontend user:

cd /home/<mythtv user>.mythtv
ln -s /home/mythtv/.mythtv/<your .xmltv file>.xmltv

The name used for the .xmltv file needs to be the name used for
defining the MythTV "source", with the .xmltv extension added.  My
source is "FreeviewHD" for my DVB-T channels and "SkyNZ-Digital" for
my DVB-S Sky channels.  So I have two .xmltv files:

  /home/stephen/.mythtv/FreeviewHD.xmltv
  /home/stephen/.mythtv/SkyNZ-Digital.xmltv

The case of the filename must match.

In your case, if you are doing your EPG the same way in 12.04 and
16.04, you should already have the files in your 12.04 setup in the
right place, so the simple thing to do is to just copy them from there
to the same place in your 16.04 system.

The channels in the .xmltv files vary depending on what is available
in each part of the country, so just copying mine would not work
completely.  And every time a new channel appears or one is renamed or
disappears, you have to make the corresponding change in your .xmltv
files manually, unless you completely delete all your channels and set
them up from scratch again (not recommended).  The tv_grab_nz-py EPG
grabber does not have the ability to modify the .xmltv files, but
IIRC, it can create them on initial setup.  But it is a long time
since I used tv_grab_nz-py like that, as I do my channel setup using
other means, so I may be wrong about that.