[mythtvnz] New install setup - recording problem

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Aug 11 10:18:33 BST 2016

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 15:23:16 +1200, you wrote:

>> There is also one obvious problem in that log snippet.  Both Card 1
>> and Card 2 are referencing adapter0/frontend0.  I do not know how the
>> HVR-2200 does its devices, but there should be either two completely
>> separate devices /dev/dvb/adapter0 and /dev/dvb/adapter1 or one device
>> with two frontends, /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 and
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend1.  Both Card1 and Card2 should not be using
>> the same frontend device /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0.
>>
>The tuners are referred to as /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 and
>/dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0
>Same as in the 12.04 install

Yes, the device setup seems fine.  I was mixing up the multirec card
numbers with the physical card numbers.  Your full log makes it clear
that there are two multirec tuners per physical tuner and they seem
assigned correctly.

The idea that the tuners are not ready when mythbackend starts is
quite plausible when booting from an SSD.  Systemd makes the startup
faster too, and the tuners take a while to load their firmware.
Fortunately, it is easy just to restart mythbackend once booting is
complete and mythfrontend is running.  If the tuners work then, that
race condition is the problem and you will need to adjust the systemd
rules for mythbackend startup so that it waits for the tuner devices.
Take a look at this page for suggestions about how to do it:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Systemd_mythbackend_Configuration

In Mythbuntu 16.04, if you want to make any changes to the systemd
mythtv-backend.service file, you can apparently just use "override
files".  See here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemdForUpstartUsers

I have not tried that yet, so I do not know how well it works.

If override files do not work, or the changes are too great, you need
to copy mythtv-backend.service from /lib/systemd/system to
/etc/systemd/system and modify it there.  And when mythbackend gets
updated, you need to check if there were any changes in the
/lib/systemd/system version of the file that need to also be done in
the /etc/systemd/system copy.