[mythtvnz] New install setup - recording problem

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 04:36:34 BST 2016

>> Actually,I didn't,I just restored the database backup from the 12.04
>> installation.The tuner numbering is as it is on 12.04 and 12.04 still
>> works fine.
>> I'm deleted capture cards for the xth time and video sources and issued
>> the mysql commands below:
>>> truncate table capturecard;
>>> truncate table cardinput;
>>> quit;
>>
>> and re-doing the setup.I don't expect it will rectify the problem.
>
> That is not the right way to delete all tuners.  Sometimes there are
> other things that need to be changed in the database when you delete
> things that MythTV will do for you automatically.  Just truncating a
> table will not make those things happen.  In this case, mythtv-setup
> has a "Delete all tuners" option that is the right way to do it, and
> will do any necessary cleanup.  There are two delete options, one for
> all tuners on one host, and one for all tuners.  Use the one for all
> tuners, as it does special cleanup to ensure that the tuner system is
> ready to be recreated from scratch.  For example, it will also delete
> all the channelscan_* table entries.
>
> When having tuner problems like yours, it is recommended by the devs
> to do a full delete like that before recreating all the tuners again.
> I have never done it, so I do not know if you also lose all the
> channel setup, but since you are just trying things on the 16.04 setup
> and still have the 12.04 to fall back to, I think it is about time to
> try that, if you have not done it already.
>
> What I normally do when I am going to set up a new system and then
> move my database onto it is to first start with an empty database and
> do the initial setup (including tuners and channels, but not xmltvids
> and EPG).  Then test the setup to make sure all the tuners work and so
> on.  If you want to try that, then you can empty the database and
> re-create it.  The way to do that is first shut down mythbackend
> (systemctl stop mythtv-backend), then go into mysql and do these
> commands:
>
> drop database mythconverg;
> source /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql
>
> The source command reads a set of SQL commands from that file, which
> looks like this:
>
> CREATE DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS mythconverg;
> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> GRANT CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost
> IDENTIFIED BY "mythtv";
> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> ALTER DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE
> utf8_general_ci;
>
> If you need external access to the database for non-local frontends,
> then you need to also do the GRANT commands for that.  It might be an
> idea to create a copy of the mc.sql file with the additional grant
> commands, for later reference if you ever need to do this again.  I
> [...]

I did delete all tuners etc. via the BE setup prior to issuing the mysql
truncate commands.
I did do the    drop database mythconverg;   source
/usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql
And that did not help but I may have repeated the original error.

I agree that your process for a new install is preferable to my immediate
restore of an old db.I will follow that after I pursue one more lead that
has shown up.

Cheers