[mythtvnz] dvb-s usb

Michael West michael at iposs.co.nz
Sun Apr 24 06:31:25 BST 2016

On 23/04/16 20:33, Jason Taylor wrote:
> Anybody know where to find a dvb-s usb tuner?

I think I have 2 external usb dvb-s tuners i'm not using right now which I
found on trade second hand a while ago.

These units have linux support and the only issue I know about them is that
they can get quite warm and they are passively cooled.  Locating then
somewhere with some air flow is important or they will cause problems on
hit summer days.

One of them was missing a power supply but if I give it to you i'm sure a
power supply wouldn't be hard to source.

I also have a Hauppauge pci express card that does dvb-t/s/s2/c  and has
linux support.  These cards are I think more reliable than usb ones.  Only
downside with this card is I think it may be single tuner so even though
dvb-t shows as separate to dvb-s only one will work at a time I think.
Haven't tested this yet though.

For recording freeview sat signal you only need a dvb-s tuner but dvb-s2
ones should be backwards compatible.  If you somehow manged to record sky
then a dvb-s tuner is all you need for all channels bar the few duplicated
hd channels but at some point soon they will be migrating to all dvb-s2.  I
can't see freeview changing any time soon though.