[mythtvnz] WAF

Michael West michael at iposs.co.nz
Thu Apr 21 01:10:01 BST 2016

On 21 April 2016 at 11:05, Robert Fisher <robert at fisher.net.nz> wrote:

I installed LibreELEC and it seems to work fine with keyboard controls.

I am struggling to find a howto to use my Harmony remote.

Ok so harmony and LIRC on Linux/Myth/KODI is a bit of a confusing one.  It
should be straight forward except for the fact that both LIRC and harmony
are trying to do almost the same thing but from different angles and this
causes problems and confusion.

Basically LIRC is configurable to respond to any remote control (with the
right IR receiver type)  and it can also learn new remote codes manually.
While Harmony is configurable to emulate any remote control and also has
the ability to learn new remote codes.

Then when you mix the two together it is confusing because there is no
defined remote codes to pick.  Here is a quick analogy.  LIRC is sort of
like a bolt that can be any size it wants so you can use any spanner to
turn it.  While Harmony is a spanner that can be any size it needs to be to
turn any bolt.  But when you bring them together what size bolt/spanner
does it pick???

So the trick to make them work together is to pick a random real device
with a remote and get LIRC to pretend to be the device and harmony to
emulate it’s remote.  There are a few guides and example lircd.conf files
you can find via google to help you with this.  From the harmony end you
need to enter a specific device and model number that matches up with the
LIRC config you have selected.

Here is some more info that may help:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220677