[mythtvnz] Frontend will not connect to database...

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Oct 31 05:54:36 GMT 2015

On Sat, 31 Oct 2015 17:47:54 +1300, you wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> But the frontend refuses to load, with the error:
>>>
>>> Connection to master server timed out. Either the server is down or the
>>> master server settings in mythtv-settings does not contain the proper IP
>>> address.
>>> No address defined for host: localhost
>>>
>>> I'm not sure why it should be trying to use localhost - that point of
>>> failure is, near as I understand, when the frontend is making the
>>> initial contact with the DB using the config.xml information (and then
>>> it gets all the other config stuff from the DB???)
>>>
>>> Anyone willing to give me some help before TV time starts later today???
>>>
>>> Nick Wallingford
>>> Tauranga
>>
>> Is this Mythbuntu 14.04?  If so, then first check that mysql is bound
>> to all IP addresses.  In my setup, that is done in
>> /etc/mysql/conf.d/mythtv.cnf which looks like this:
>>
>> [mysqld]
>> bind-address=0.0.0.0
>>
>> and in /etc/mysql/my.cnf the bind line is commented out by putting a #
>> character at the front of it.
>>
>> If you do:
>>
>>    cd /etc/mysql
>>    grep -ir bind *
>>
>> you should see all the bind settings:
>>
>> root at mypvr:/etc/mysql# grep -ir bind *
>> conf.d/mythtv.cnf:bind-address=0.0.0.0
>> conf.d/mythtv-tweaks-jsw.cnf:bind-address=0.0.0.0
>> my.cnf:#bind-address            = 127.0.0.1
>> my.cnf.original:bind-address            = 127.0.0.1
>>
>> If you change any settings, restart mysql.  Restarting mysql without
>> stopping the backend is safe only if the backend is idle.  It is
>> probably better to stop it first, so do this (from a root prompt or
>> add sudo):
>>
>> stop mythtv-backend
>> restart mysql
>> start mythtv-backend
>>
>> Then check that the box itself has a static IP address.  And make sure
>> what it is set to:
>>
>> ifconfig
>>
>> Then check that the static IP address is the one in the
>> /etc/mythtv/config.xml file.
>>
>> Then check the same in any MythTV user directories eg:
>>
>>    /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml
>>    /home/<frontenduser>/.mythtv/config.xml
>>
>> Then check the MythTV settings for the same IP address in the backend
>> and frontend settings.  If you do a mysql query like this you should
>> see your backend settings:
>>
>> mysql> select * from settings where data like '10.0.2.4';
>> +-----------------+----------+----------+
>> | value           | data     | hostname |
>> +-----------------+----------+----------+
>> | MasterServerIP  | 10.0.2.4 | NULL     |
>> | BackendServerIP | 10.0.2.4 | mypvr    |
>> +-----------------+----------+----------+
>> 2 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>>
>> And this will show if you have localhost set anywhere:
>>
>> mysql> select * from settings where data like '127.%' or data like
>> 'localhost';
>> Empty set (0.00 sec)

>Sorry.  Not mythbuntu but plain vanilla ubuntu with mythtv...

Which uses the Mythbuntu packages for MythTV, so it will be very
similar, just using a different desktop.

>But all you said makes sense nevertheless.  I sort of figured my issues
>were more mysql related rather than mythtv to some extent.
>
>But changing the various bind settings has my BE unable to connect to
>the database.  I think my problems is with the mysql permissions for the
>mythtv user.
>
>   Database error was:
>   Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'media' (using password: YES)
>
>Reasonably comfortable with phpmyadmin or mysql command line - what
>should I be looking for for that user?
>
>Thanks for helping - I *generally* manage to blunder my way to a
>solution, but this one has had me stumped for most of the day!
>
>Nick

I am not very good with mysql permissions at all.  So far I have found
them to be a great mystery and I have avoided having anything to do
with them.

Take a look at:

  https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:MySQL
  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MythTV#Setting_up_the_database

and see if anything there helps.  There are examples of how to change
permissions, but I have no idea if they will help your problem.

See:

  /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql

for how the mythconverg database is initially created.

Is "media" the name of the MythTV box?  If so, then maybe what you
need is:

GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO 'mythtv'@'media' IDENTIFIED BY
'password';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

and also the same with the full domain name of media and maybe again
with its IP address.

Or maybe even:

GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO 'mythtv'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

Presuming that there is no Internet access to the MythTV box, the
latter should be fine.