[mythtvnz] Frontend will not connect to database...

Nick Wallingford nick at wallingford.nz
Fri Oct 30 23:45:27 GMT 2015

Ubuntu 14.04
mythtv 0.27

Combined FE and BE (ie, same PC) but specifying fixed IP in setup for
the BE and in config.xml for the FE.

mysql seems OK - I can connect to the mythconverge as user mythtv
backend seems OK - it runs normally, with no abnormal errors in logs.

But the frontend refuses to load, with the error:

Connection to master server timed out. Either the server is down or the
master server settings in mythtv-settings does not contain the proper IP
address.
No address defined for host: localhost

I'm not sure why it should be trying to use localhost - that point of
failure is, near as I understand, when the frontend is making the
initial contact with the DB using the config.xml information (and then
it gets all the other config stuff from the DB???)

Anyone willing to give me some help before TV time starts later today???

Nick Wallingford
Tauranga