[mythtvnz] Commercials flagging issues

Adam Bennetts abennetts at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 07:03:23 GMT 2015

Assuming you're recording dvb-t or dvb-s, I recommend trying the
commercial detection routines from here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Commercial_detection_with_silences - I'm
not sure how well it would work with an originally analogue source.

I get better results and it's much much faster. The defaults work
fairly well, better on 3 and 4 and typically better on prime time
shows. It can be configured to suit individual channels and programs
(e.g. it doesn't work very well with the news) but I've not yet
bothered. I know one of the devs was working on implementing something
similar in MythTV but I've heard nothing for nearly a year.

Note I'm still on MythTV 0.25.2 so newer versions may have better out
of the box commercial detection (quality dropped sometime after 0.24
for me). One day I'll upgrade and might then compare the default
detection versus this method.

Cheers,
Adam.