[mythtvnz] Need some help with new install of mythtv

Steve V olivuts at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 1 04:46:07 GMT 2015

Hi all,
i've been running mythtv for a long time, i know very little about Linux but I have got by so far by doing very little to the backend. So my backend has been running on a Ubuntu 11.10 desktop, but this is seriously out of date and unsupported.
So I decided to update my system. I have a new SSD drive and I have loaded Ubuntu 14.04LTS and mythtv backend. After a number of problems I have the follwoing working:
I can start the backend manuallyMythfilldatabase seems to workMythfrontend on the same PC is workingMy database restore worked and I can watch all my recording
I have 1 more things to sort out
Make mythbackend start on boot
mythbackend does not start on bootI tried to follow the guide at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Upstart_mythbackend_Configurationbut my lack of linux knowledge has me stumpedI did:
ln -s /lib/init/upstart-job /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend but firstly I don't understand what this does, is
/lib/init/upstart-job

just a generic script that comes with Ubuntu?

assuming this symbolic link is the correct thing to do should I now do something like
sudo update-rc.d mythtv-backend defaults

in any case I tried running
/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend and/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start

and

start mythtv-backend

but none of these actually starts the backend

I can manually start the backend by  /usr/bin/backend

I do have a /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf file it is slightly different from that shown in the wiki. It is the one that cam with my install of mythtv.

Another issue - when I run the backend setup and exit it asks if I want to start the backen I select yes and I am asked for my password which I give. but the backend does not start.

Any ideas of where I can go from here would be appreciated.