[mythtvnz] High quality cables

Don don at robertson.net.nz
Tue Feb 17 01:39:35 GMT 2015

This was a different cable to the one I was having problems with :-) that one worked fine.  It was a patch cable I was using as a test to make sure I could fit evening into the available space that didn't work. The rg6 works fine.

Oh- and there is plenty cable coiled in the roof space.  All cable only comes in two lengths - far too long and just slightly too short.

Don Robertson
don at robertson.net.nzAndrew Ruthven <andrew at etc.gen.nz> wrote:On Fri, 2015-02-13 at 14:29 +1300, Don Robertson wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:16:17 Steve Holdoway wrote:
> > I'd just keep the lengths as short as possible. Given the local climate,
> > I expect the backend will survive just fine in the roofspace.
>
> I'm only planning to put the cable in the roof space. I'm too paranoid to put
> the machines up there in case they burst into flames.
>
> It is weird. Long run of cable to wall socket + 10m cable = good signal
>
> Same 10m cable connected directly to the antenna cable splitter = bad signal.

Hey Don,

It is quite possible that by shortening your cable run that now your
signal string is too strong. The longer cable run to the wall socket
will be attenuating the signal a bit...  Perhaps try a coil of cable up
in the roof if you have some lying around?

Ah, also given your comment about the old cable being cut, it sounds
even more likely that the signal strength was too strong!

Cheers,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand