[mythtvnz] High quality cables

Don Robertson don at robertson.net.nz
Sun Feb 15 21:32:42 GMT 2015

> Coax cables conducting UHF are touchy.Even a crushed section where someone
> stepped on the cable can ruin the signal.Quality of the core material and
> shielding is very important.
>
> -Paul

Things did not go quite as planned. I wound up having to put some holes in the
wall pulled out the old aerial cable. Note - this is the one that was going to
the TV, not to the silicon dust tuner, and was working fine.

Anyway - about half way down the wall, the aerial cable was cut in half, and
the shielding from each half was twisted together on one side, and the core
twisted together on the other side of the cable.

So on the plus side, I've now got Cat6 cabling into the office and to the living
room, a new phone line into the office, and a lot of new aerial cable installed.
On the down side, I have to finish fixing the holes and paint the office.

I'm also wondering if I keep using the term 'professional quality' but don't
know what it means. Every time I do something around here, I see what a crappy
job the 'professionals' did the first time. For example, years ago I noticed
the TV aerial was waving around in the slightest wind. I had a look and it was
held on by a couple of screws going into a sheet of galvanized iron. Another
thing that is really annoying is the roof goes so far into the guttering that
you can't clean it out without cutting your hands on the roof. One section of
guttering is drained by a 25 mm pipe that runs into another down-pipe.

Don't get me started.

Grumpy from Halswell