[mythtvnz] High quality cables

Don Robertson don at robertson.net.nz
Sun Feb 15 20:50:24 GMT 2015

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 14:44:02 Stephen Worthington wrote:

> When it comes to aerial cables, it pays to use the right stuff.  The
> recommended TV aerial cable is RG6.  This is properly shielded, lower
> loss, and probably costs a little more but is worth it.  It is also a
> bit stiff for use in patch cables, so they tend to be lesser quality
> in order to be easier to bend.  But if you can, also use RG6 for patch
> cables.  Also it is best to use the screw fitting "F" connectors
> wherever possible, as they have much lower loss at each connector.
> Only change to a Belling-Lee connector when you get to the end
> equipment if that is fitted with a Belling-Lee socket.

After a bit of thought, I figured there must be something like that going on.
The 10m cable is indeed RG-56.

> Most RG6 cable will have markings on it telling you it is RG6.  Other
> lesser aerial cable is much less likely to be marked up with what it
> is.

> For Ethernet cable, it depends on what Ethernet you are trying to do.
> My Ethernet is all gigabit and I made sure that my cables were all
> installed as Cat6.  There is now a Cat5e cable which is rated for
> gigabit also, but it has rather less good specifications, so I still
> prefer to use Cat6.  And Cat6 is needed for longer runs.

Yes - I was thinking about using Cat6 - for the amount I'll need, it is not
that much more expensive. There shouldn't be any compatibility problems.

> However, do not be fooled into buying expensive HDMI cables for
> example.  If a cable is specified as HDMI, that is a digital signal,
> and if it is unable to put out HDMI that matches the HDMI

Well, still on good old DVI :-) One of these days I'll put in a better video
card and go to HDMI - though probably better replace the whole box with a low-
powered HDMI capable gadget.

Thanks for the info

don