[mythtvnz] Break out audio from HDMI

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Mon Sep 8 08:54:22 BST 2014

Oh what fun!!

Just discovered (after owning it for some 9 years) that my theatre amp
only switches the HDMI, it doesn't actually take the audio from it :(

That means that of the several options for a frontend I've been looking
at, they all have HDMI output and/or analog audio but no SPDIF.

I can get a USB<->SPDIF device for $15 from China or a $35 HDMI breakout
patch box from Amazon. Can anyone thing of alternatives since optical or
coax digital audio seems quite scarce now with HDMI being so prevalent.

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks