[mythtvnz] mhegepgsnoop.py and mythfilldatabase not working.

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Tue Oct 21 03:23:37 BST 2014

On 21/10/14 13:10, Fritz Hildebrand wrote:
> Hi!
> I've been trying all morning to get the tv lisings into MythTV. I've
> got the latest version of MythTV installed on FC20 and am using
> mhegepgsnoop-0.6.0.py <http://mhegepgsnoop-0.6.0.py>.
>
> First of all I made the following chnages to in mhegepgsnoop-0.6.0.py
> <http://mhegepgsnoop-0.6.0.py>:
> 1. mysql_args = "-u mythtv -pmythtv"... wouldn't give me access to the
> database otherwise.
> 2. clean_titles = True
>     clean_titles2 = True .. necessary as otherwise I was getting
> "AttributeError: 'Namespace' object has no attribute 'clean_titles2'".
>
> Anyway, after doing these changes I ran "python mhegepgsnoop.py -o
> tvguide.xml -v" successfully. But when I subsequently ran
> "mythfilldatabase --file --sourceid 1 --xmlfile tvguide.xml" nothing
> was imported and I got a long list of "Unknown xmltv channel identifier:"
Fritz,

With the way you are doing this the xmltv ID must be present in in your
Myth channels table. In the Myth channel setup there is a field for
xmltv id. It is probably easier to use mythweb to edit these though. The
ID can actually be anything as long as it is unique for every channel
that uses the same guide data.

mhegepgsnoop looks in this table to find the names of the channels it
puts in the guide data. mythfilldatabase in turn uses these to match
your myth channels to guide data channels.

I personally use tv_grab_nz-py which grabs data from (I think)
epg.org.nz. This requires a seperate setup step which doesn't appear to
comply with the xmltv spec. Run it from the command line with
--configure and it will ask which channels to include in the importable
guide data.

I am part way through assembling a cleaner mechanism for NZ guide data,
but I am (probably) a few weeks away yet. And it looks like the initial
setup will still be a PITA.

Short story; your way is fine.

Aaron.