[mythtvnz] epgsnoop/xmltv-proc-nz/tv_grab_nz-py

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Sat Oct 18 08:55:46 BST 2014

TL;DR Comments requested for a replacement xmltv grabber for NZ

I've been thinking about how to string all this together in an xmltv
friendly way.

My thoughts, based on my progress so far:
1) Change mhegepgsnoop to invent xmltv channel names based on somehting
like trim(name)+'.freeview.nz' and return all channel data, regardless
of which channels interest you. We have to decode it all anyway. This
means mhegepgsnoop no longer needs configuration. But will probably mean
renaming some of your channels in Myth. Can also make it handle utf-8
characters properly.

2) Process the data as per the xmltv spec, to exclude everything that is
not interesting. This should be easy enough to do by modifying an
existing grabber. The recommended new grabbers do seem more
feature-complete than our current one.

3) Within the modified grabber, call xmltv-proc-nz to augment any
remaining data. This processes the minimum amount of data, which is a
good thing.

I'm kind of reluctant to make yet another copy of an mheg reader,
knowing that my copy will surely fall into disrepair at some stage.
Perhaps the author would care to comment? On the other hand, the code
could really do with some comments and a bit of a clean up. Caching
would be good too, for testing. And it might be interesting to make it
Python 3 as well.

As for utf-8; I haven't had any to work with yet, because they have been
missing in the guide data. I am confident this can be made to work
properly with only minor changes to existing code.

I feel like I'm very close to something good here. xmltv-proc-nz
probably needs more options, but, from where I am, this should be
crazy-easy to implement.

Anyway, I'm kind of thinking out loud here, but if anyone has an opinion
I'm all ears.