[mythtvnz] epgsnoop/xmltv-proc-nz/tv_grab_nz-py

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Mon Oct 13 23:23:09 BST 2014

> I am not sure if user tables are "allowed" either, but they work just
> fine without causing MythTV any problems.  But doing it that way would
> require people to have some method of doing SQL on the tables to edit
> them, which is beyond the skill level that is aimed at for MythTV
> users.
My thoughts too.
> Making changes in the existing config.xml is definitely not a good
> idea.  It gets updated by MythTV upgrades sometimes, and that would
> probably lose any extra things stored there.

Understood.
>> xmltv grabber / mythfilldatabase advice:
>> Will mythfilldatabase run automatically during a recording? Preliminary
>> testing indicates that mhegepgsnoop trashes an in-progress recording,
>> but that could be a coincidence. More testing is required.
> My experience is that mhegepgsnoop is fine with a recording that is
> already running.
Thanks for the data point.
> I normally only run mhegepgsnoop manually when I am unable to get
> downloaded EPG.
I figured that not relying on an external source might be helpful. For
instance, someone mentioned the Te Reo guide some time ago.
> mythfilldatabase runs whenever it is scheduled to - it does not try to
> avoid recordings.  I run mine as cron job at the same time each day
> rather than have mythbackend schedule it.  The heavy database access
> it causes can potentially cause recordings on the same drive to have
> gaps in them.
I understand. But, it seems bit like having a dog, and barking too.
>   As well, I need to use a DVB-S tuner for epgsnoop to get my Sky EPG, so I
> schedule mythfilldatabase runs for when no Sky recordings are
> happening.
How many people are in this boat? Any thoughts?

> Automatic creation of channels has always been a fraught business -
> allowing it to happen can cause serious problems unless the channel
> updates come from a carefully controlled source such as the US
> DataDirect.  There is often not enough information available from
> normal EPG sources to create a full channel setup in the database. The
> channel number is not usually available, for example.  I run
> mythfilldatabase with the --only-update-guide option to prevent it
> from doing any channel updates.  I do all my channel updates manually.
Yes. It's far from a priority for me.
> BTW Have you converted to Python 3?  Python 2 is deprecated and going
> away eventually in Ubuntu.

No. But I will now that I know. Thanks for the heads up.

Stephen, you always take the time to make full and clear posts. Thank
you; you are very helpful.

Aaron.