[mythtvnz] satellite or terrestrial options

Roger Searle roger.searle at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 22:38:47 BST 2014

Hi - I am moving house soon, my mythtv backend has a Hauppage DVB-T card
for the terrestrial aerial and works well.  The new house has a sky
satellite dish and no terrestrial aerial.

I'm interested in list recommendations or experience or pros/cons on
whether to stay with DVB-T and install an aerial, or to go with
satellite and get a DVB-S card.  There is good line of sight for
either.  I know of rain fade, is this actually much of an issue in dry
Canterbury?  Are there more HD channels via one or the other?

Which DVB-S cards are well regarded and easily obtained in NZ?  Are
there some that are USB so I can keep the DVB-T card or is there no
advantage to this given we are accessing the freeview channels only (no
sky subscription and no intention of getting).  The motherboard/cpu/RAM
is new-ish/lots of cores/large amount of.

Apologies in advance if my searching of the list was lame and I failed
to find numerous threads on this very topic.  Otherwise thanks for any
feedback :)

Cheers,
Roger