[mythtvnz] Are Intel NUC ok as a frontend?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon May 26 23:54:07 BST 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Hadley Rich <hads at nice.net.nz> wrote:
> On 27/05/14 09:45, Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>> But there have been many issues with NUCs in general, faulty bioses,
>> power on|off|suspend issues, rebooting instead of switching off, IR
>> not working without a hack, the list goes on. Read the NUC threads on
>> forum.xbmc.org.
>

> As a data point, I use one of the original black NUCs as an XBMC frontend
> and haven't had any issues at all.

I will say that there are a lot of confusing stories about NUC out
there. It's a combination of multiple operating systems, multiple
versions of NUC (with greatly varying Intel chipsets), multiple BIOS
versions and differing expectations.

In terms of that last point, of course someone who expects perfect
movie playback at 23.976Hz has different needs than someone who cannot
see the difference.

Overall my view is that the NUC is overhyped, and in NZ is overpriced
(as is much of our tech gear).