[mythtvnz] Are Intel NUC ok as a frontend?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon May 26 22:45:16 BST 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 8:37 AM, Noel & Diane <noel at igrin.co.nz> wrote:
> @ Nick
>
> What would you percieve the issues with board to be?
>
> Would this be OK for an SD only frontend of a DVB-S system?
>
> Curiosity killed the cat!

Buggered if I can find the exact posts, but possibly somewhere in this thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=187433&page=93

But there have been many issues with NUCs in general, faulty bioses,
power on|off|suspend issues, rebooting instead of switching off, IR
not working without a hack, the list goes on. Read the NUC threads on
forum.xbmc.org.

Having said that it would probably make an adequate frontend if you
are prepared for the fact that everything may not work out of the box.

But I would probably go for one of these at $200.00US delivered, which
is about $250.00NZ (at 0.80)
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-best-fanless-pc-computer-systems-with-29MM-extreme-ultra-thin-chassis-4G-RAM-16G-SSD/1350315197.html

I have a similar one with 2G ram and 8G SSD and it runs openelec just fine.