[mythtvnz] Time stretch audio skipping

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Mon May 26 22:24:16 BST 2014

On 26/05/14 16:43, Duncan Kennington wrote:
> On 26 May 2014 15:30, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com
> <mailto:stevehodge at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 2:40 PM, Aaron Pelly
>     <apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz <mailto:apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz>>
>     wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         I'm down to my last couple of minor issues. Thanks for the
>         help so far!
>
>         I have audio set to alsa:default. Above about 1.1x time
>         stretch there is some noticeable skipping/clicking in recorded
>         playback audio. I have not had this issue with mplayer which
>         also uses alsa. Admittedly this is a pretty minor.
>
>         Ubuntu audio has been fairly well behaved for the last few
>         years, but earlier experience tells me this can be a real can
>         of worms.
>
>         Log attached.
>
>         Am I missing something obvious?
>

>     What's you CPU usage like when timestretch is 1.2? You're getting
>     buffer underruns so Myth is not supplying data to ALSA fast enough.
>

> Agree, I have only seen this on underpowered frontends or where the
> VDPAU hasn't been enabled in playback profiles.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU#Enabling_VDPAU_in_MythFrontend
CPU use is negligible.

Broad specs gleaned from lshw:

        product: Z87X-D3H-CF
        vendor: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

        size: 16GiB

        product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

        product: GK110 [GeForce GTX 780]

VDPAU is in use.

It is possible the on-board sound is some shit chipset:

     00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series
Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
     Subsystem: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Device a002
     Memory at f3130000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
     Capabilities: <access denied>
     Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

I admit I'm on the fringes of my comprehension here, but is it possible
that I've got some issue or conflict with Nvidia/Intel sound?