[mythtvnz] Mythfrontend hangs hard when starting live tv

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed May 21 10:29:52 BST 2014

On 20 May 2014 09:23, Aaron Pelly <apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz> wrote:

> Not for myth, no. I just happen to have myth data on a drive (that happens
> to be on the backend) that I mount in the same spot on all network machines.
> That has been resolved to my satisfaction now, but it still seems like a
> bug.

by default, myth will first check if a file is local before attempting
to stream it from the backend.

This is done by simply checking if the file exists at the path.

If you have mounted your data drive on the frontend, so that the
directory structure is that same as on the backend, myth will open the
file locally rather than mount it.

You can change the behaviour by starting the frontend with -O
AlwaysStreamFiles=1

with recent mythtv 0.27, and even more so with the
devel/027candidates, usually streaming from the backend will often
provide better playback experience.

Personally, I would make the AlwaysStreamFiles the default, because
that reduces the different various user scenarii. It's becoming a
nightmare to test mythtv, there are so many usage pattern, very hard
to ensure they all work.