[mythtvnz] On-air guide vs XMLTV

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri May 16 08:43:16 BST 2014

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 7:23 PM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> The "useonairguide" option means to use the tuners to collect EIT
> data.  It should never be mixed with using downloaded data via
> tv_grab_nz-py, as they clash with each other.  That is likely what is
> happening for you.  Each channel should be set up to use only one
> source of EPG.  The DVB-S channels have good EIT data - it is possible
> to use that alone as a source for your EPG, just using the
> useonairguide option and enabling tuners to be used for EIT
> collection.  I have never done that, but I have used epgsnoop to get
> EPG data from the DVB-S EIT streams once a day and that worked quite
> well.  I still do that for my Sky EPG data.

One thing to note: if you've got multiple copies of the same channel
getting guide data from different sources (e.g. One on Sky using Sky data
and One on Freeview using downloaded data) you want to make sure the data
from each source is identical for that channel. If your Sky data has "All
New Two and Half Men" and your downloaded data has been sanitised to "Two
and Half Men" then the scheduler will not be able to use those channels
interchangeably when recording that show (unless you've set up a custom
rule). IMO it's best to use a single data source for all common channels.

> So I would recommend turning off all your useonairguide settings.  If
> you are OK doing SQL, this would do it in one command:
>
>   update channel set useonairguide=0 where useonairguide!=0;

Yes, turn it off. You can just do "update channel set useonairguide = 0;"
(don't need the where clause). Or do it through MythWeb.

Cheers,