[mythtvnz] On-air guide vs XMLTV

Aaron Pelly apelly at monkeymasters.co.nz
Fri May 16 03:12:48 BST 2014

Hi guys (again)

Please don't blast me for a common question: I find nothing definitive
in the archives.

I believe I have tv_grab_nz-py working.

I will say what I did, incase it is helpful for someone else (or stupid,
so you can correct me). I found zero docco about this on the web:

Ran it in from ~ with the configure option
It created a .xmltv directory with selected channels in tv_grab_nz-py.conf
mv this directory to /home/mythtv
symlink this dir back to ~/.xmltv
symlink /home/mythtv/.xmltv/tv_grab_nz-py.conf to
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/Freeview.xml
symlink ~/.mythtv to /home/mythtv/.mythtv

Maybe there is a command line option to specify the output, but I
couldn't be arsed finding it, so probably would stuff it up in the
future too... I think this will help me later.

OK, now I noticed something interesting:
In the EPG I seemed to be getting extra information for channels marked
"useonairguide" in mythweb. This information showed up as programme
categories in parenthesis after the title in the guide. If I uncheck
"useonairguide" and look at the programme info (press "I" on the
frontend) I can't see it anywhere. I am (vaguely) aware that the guide
data allows for much more detail than is provided OTA, so I wondered if
this was simply being put in its rightful place by xmltv-proc-nz (Thanks
hads for all the work you've put in on these scripts!)

Some information is still present, and the EPG changes programme colour
as appropriate, but I'm sure it was better before.

As I lamely attempt to describe what I'm seeing I seem to be talking in
circles. It's like the useonairguide flag functions the opposite way to
what I'm expecting.

This is a bad email. I will try to explain better if I have not been clear.