[mythtvnz] Changing Myth channel numbers

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri May 16 02:43:28 BST 2014

On Fri, 16 May 2014 12:20:30 +1200, you wrote:

>On 16/05/14 12:08, Steve Hodge wrote:
>> I'll add a little detail
>Fantastic! Thank you very much Steve.

One more tidbit - on FreeviewHD (DVB-T), the channel numbers are
defined by the MPHEG5 EPG data that is broadcast.  When channel
changes occur, any FreeviewHD certified device that is currently tuned
to at least one valid channel and is switched on enough to receive it
should read the MHEG5 data and automatically make the changes without
any human intervention.  My Sony TV does that - it has automatically
done the recent channel changes.  My mother's identical TV did not as
she normally turns it completely off instead of leaving it on standby.

So it is best in MythTV to assign channels the same channel numbers
(channel.channum) that are being used by FreeviewHD.  Here is the list
for the Wharite transmitter:

+---------+--------------+----------------------+
| channum | callsign     | name                 |
+---------+--------------+----------------------+
| 1       | TV ONE       | TV ONE               |
| 2       | TV2          | TV2                  |
| 3       | TV3          | TV3                  |
| 4       | FOUR         | FOUR                 |
| 5       | Maori TV     | Maori Television     |
| 6       | TVONE PLUS1  | TV ONE PLUS1         |
| 7       | TV2+1        | TV2+1                |
| 8       | TV3 PLUS1    | TV3 PLUS1            |
| 9       | C4           | C4                   |
| 10      | PRIME        | PRIME                |
| 12      | ChoiceTV     | Choice TV            |
| 14      | Sommet       | Sommet Sports        |
| 16      | ALJAZEERA    | Al Jazeera           |
| 18      | Shopping     | The Shopping Channel |
| 20      | TVSN         | TVSN Shopping        |
| 21      | YesShop      | Yes Shop             |
| 22      | Parlmnt      | Parliament TV        |
| 24      | Te Reo       | Te Reo               |
| 26      | Firstlight   | Firstlight           |
| 28      | ChineseTV    | ChineseTV            |
| 33      | TV33         | TV33                 |
| 36      | Apna         | Apna Television      |
| 50      | RNZ National | Radio NZ National    |
| 51      | RNZ Concert  | Radio NZ Concert     |
| 71      | BaseFM       | BaseFM               |